The dsRNA genome segments and proteins of rice ragged stunt virus (RRSV)
(genus Oryzavirus: family Reoviridae)
available as a Word File updated August 2003
':Protein structure/function: RNA polymerase = (Pol); capping enzyme = (CaP); Inner virus structural protein with T = 13 symmetry = (T13); viral inclusion body or viroplasm matrix protein = (ViP). Other species within the genus may have proteins with significant differences in sizes.
†Segments numbered based on migration of genome segments in SDS-PAGE gel. Migration order may differ among other members of the genus. Updated August 2003
Table created by Peter Mertens with data provided by Narayana Upadhyaya
Periodic updates available at www.reoviridae.org/dsRNA_virus_proteins/Oryzavirus.htm
Please make suggestions for changes or updates to this table by e-mail to Peter Mertenspeter.firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Upadhyaya NM, Yang M, Kositratana W, Ghosh A and Waterhouse PM (1995). Molecular analysis of rice ragged stunt oryzavirus segment S9 and sequence conservation among isolates from Thailand and India. Archives of Virology 140:1945-1956.
2. Li Z, Upadhyaya NM, Kositratana W, Gibbs AJ and Waterhouse PM (1996) Genome segment 5 of rice ragged stunt virus encodes a virion protein. Journal of General Virology 77:3155-3160.
3. Upadhyaya NM, Zinkowsky E, Li Z, Kositratana W and Waterhouse PM (1996) The Mr 43K major capsid protein of rice ragged stunt oryzavirus is a post-translationally processed product of a Mr 67,348 polypeptide encoded by genome segment 8. Archives of Virology 141:1689-1701.
4. Upadhyaya NM, Ramm K,Gellatly JA, Li Z, Kositratana W and Waterhouse PM (1997) Rice ragged stunt oryzavirus genome segments S7 and S10 encode non-structural proteins of Mr 68,025 (Pns7) and Mr 32,364 (Pns10). Archives of Virology 142:1719-1726
5. Upadhyaya NM, Ramm K, Li Z, Kositratana M and Waterhouse PM (1997) Rice ragged stunt oryzavirus genome segment S4 could encode an RNA dependent RNA polymerase and a second protein of unknown function. Archives of Virology 143:1815-1822.
6. Waterhouse PM and Upadhyaya NM (1998) Genetic engineering of virus resistance In Molecular Biology of Rice, ed Shimamoto K, Springer-Verlag, Tokyo pp 257-281.
7. Upadhyaya NM, Li Z, Wang M-B, Chen S, Gong Z-X, Waterhouse PM (2001) Engineering for virus resistance in rice In: Khush GS, Brar DS, Hardy B (eds) Rice Genetics IV. Proceedings of the Fourth International Rice Genetics Symposium, 22-27 October 2000, Los Banos, Philippines. New Delhi (India): Science Publishers, Inc., and Los Banos (Philippines): International Crops Research Institute. P 405-421.
8. Upadhyaya NM, Zhou X-R, Zhu Q-H, Eamens A, Wang M-B, Waterhouse P, Dennis ES (2000) Transgenic rice. In Obrien L, Henry RT (eds) Transgenic cereals. American Association of Cereal Chemists St Paul, Minnesota, USA pp.28-87.
9. Upadhyaya NM, Waterhouse PM, Li Z, Ramm K, Gaudron J, Kositratana W, Gosh A, Gong Z-X, and Chen S (1999) Rice ragged stunt virus (RRSV) genome organization and RRSV derived synthetic resistance genes. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Integrated Plant Disease Management for Sustainable Agriculture. IARI, New Delhi (in Press).
10. Chaogang S, Juanhua W, Guoying Z, Gang S, Baozhen P, Juanli Lei, Dendi J, Shenxiang C, Upadhyaya NM, Waterhouse P, Zuxun Gong (2003) Ectopic expression of the spike protein of Rice Ragged Stunt Oryzavirus in transgenic rice plants inhibits transmission of the virus to insects. Molecular Breeding 11:295-301.
11. Chen, C.C., Chen, M.J., Chiu, R.J. and Hsu, H.T. (1989). Morphological comparisons of Echinochloa ragged stunt and rice ragged stunt viruses by electron microscopy. Phytopathology, 79, 235-241.
12. Chen, C.C., Chen, M.J., Chiu, R.J. and Hsu, H.T. (1997). Rice ragged stunt virus (Oryzavirus) possesses an outer shell and A-spikes. Plant Protection Bull., (Taichung) 39, 383-388.
13. Chen, C.C., Hsu, Y.H., Chen, M.J. and Chiu, R.J. (1989). Comparison of proteins and nucleic acids of Echinochloa ragged stunt and rice ragged stunt viruses. Intervirology, 30, 278-284.
14. Yan, J., Uyeda, I., Kimura, I., Shikata, E., Chen, C.C. and Chen, M.J. (1994). Echinochloa ragged stunt virus belongs to the same genus as rice ragged stunt virus. Ann. Phytyopath. Soc. Japan, 60, 613-616.
(The RNAs and Proteins of dsRNA Viruses: Edited by Peter. P. C. Mertens, Houssam Attoui and Dennis H. Bamford)